Cannot Share Control of a Desktop
j***@gmail.com
2005-05-23 15:06:35 UTC
We would like to start using our Live Meeting for a support tool. The
same way Dell and Veritas use WebEX.

However I cannot "Request Control" of the shared application. The
option is grayed out. Both members of the session are presenters.

What is the best way to accomplish this task? I want to share the
user's desktop with a remote technician and I want the technician to
be able to take control over the desktop.
Jim Glynn [MSFT]
2005-05-25 16:18:07 UTC
The availability of this option is controlled by the meeting organizer.
There are settings to enable/disable various levels of application sharing.
Generally, presenters have this ability by default. It is possible to extend
this option to attendees by modifying your meeting configuration or by
promoting them to presenter status.

Let me know if you'd like more details.
--
Jim Glynn [MSFT]
j***@gmail.com
2005-05-25 21:47:43 UTC
Well I am the presenter and I cannot do it. Perhaps you could inform
me of the details you mention.

Thanks
Justin
Stephen Chirico[MSFT]
2005-05-26 00:58:42 UTC
If YOU are the presenter, and you want to gain control of your attendess
computer....this is what you need to do.

1. Click START REMOTE DESKTOP SHARING...and then select your attendee...
2. They will be prompted that you want to do this and can either grant you
VIEW ONLY, or GRANT CONTROL...

If this option is grayed out, right click on your attendee first and select
PROMOTE TO PRESENTER.
--
Stephen Chirico [MSFT]
This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no rights
Jim Glynn [MSFT]
2005-05-26 16:18:06 UTC
Thanks Stephen,
Here are a few more details.

The conference center Administrator and meeting Organizer must grant
permission for Sharing Control of a Desktop. In the Additional Features
section of Meeting Options, the Application Sharing box and the Allow
meeting participants to request control box must be checked. If you are the
meeting Organizer and do not see those options, contact your conference
center Administrator and ask them to enable Desktop and Single Application
sharing.

Assuming the above settings are correct, Stephen's instructions will work.
--
Jim Glynn [MSFT]